Webinar Date: August 5, 2014 Time: 2.00 p.m. EASTERN
With nearly half a year’s worth of statistics on debt collection litigation and complaints under our belt, a few key trends stand out:
- While the overwhelming majority of debt collection lawsuits deal with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, FDCPA lawsuits – and therefore debt collection litigation as a whole – has been on the decline in recent months.
- Lawsuits for Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) violations are on the rise, and are poised to become the second most-litigated statute in debt collection after FDCPA.
- Collection agencies have a new foe because consumer complaints to the CFPB about debt collection are on the rise.
But these statistics shouldn’t scare you. They should motivate you. This is an opportunity for collection agencies to be proactive in their response to the industry’s new legal landscape.
Get the most up-to-date data on courtroom and complaint trends in our new webinar. Learn how to use data to fill any compliance gaps and protect your agency from potential lawsuits. Jack Gordon of WebRecon will provide in-depth data analysis and forecasts. John Bedard of Bedard Law Group will explain how the data impacts your compliance obligations. You’ll have the chance to ask Mr. Gordon and Mr. Bedard questions during the live Q&A portion of the webinar.
- How to productively analyze litigation data on a month-to-month and year-to-year basis.
- How to sharpen your TCPA compliance focus without losing sight of FDCPA.
- What consumer complaint data means for the CFPB's growing role in the debt collection industry.
Speakers: John Bedard and Jack Gordon
John Bedard is an AV-rated attorney and nationally recognized authority on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. He serves as counsel to several professional trade associations, including the Georgia Collectors Association. John is a published writer on industry topics and a former member of the ACA International Board of Directors. John is recognized by Collection Advisor magazine as one of the nation's top 50 most influential people in the collection industry. He serves as the State of Georgia Compliance Chairperson for ACA International and is a former Chairperson and Program Designation award recipient of ACA International's Members Attorney Program. John is a nationally recognized speaker and travels the country training collectors and educating industry associations, clients, and vendors who provide products and services to the industry. He has spent his entire career serving the credit and collection industries.
Jack Gordon created WebRecon in 2008 to address the challenges that rapidly increasing consumer litigation posed for the collection industry. Prior to that, he owned and operated a Michigan collection agency for several years. He has been in the shoes of the agencies getting sued, but now spends his time watching filing trends, examining the consumer litigant culture to pick up their deeply held secrets, and advocating for a saner debt collection environment. Through WebRecon, Jack is an active supporter of ACA International, DBA International and NARCA.
People are talking about insideCompliance:
"The webinar was a great experience. I've since shared the information with my management team. We've had a lot of great discussions and have made progress in our journey through compliance. We're a smaller company and have diligently worked on updating and creating our CMS for some time now. The insight that insideARM projects on a daily basis is very useful and is always appreciated. Thank you!"
Assistant Director of Operations