SACRAMENTO, Calif -- In 2021 the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI) announced the formal creation of its Debt Collection Advisory Committee, a seven-member board that would provide critical feedback to the Department. As the first 2-year term (2021-2023) comes to a close a new committee has been appointed for the 2023-2025 term.
The committee members were appointed by Commissioner Clothilde Hewlett for a two-year term according to Financial Code Section 100025 as of 5/1/2023.
As can be seen, by the list below, this diverse group includes representatives from the debt collection, debt-buying, third-party collection, and collection law industries:
- Angela Reed-Becker - Equabli Inc.
- Cindy Yaklin - States Recovery Systems Inc.
- Desiree Nguyen Orth - East Bay Community Law Center
- Kali Miller - OPTNSVC Mexico (Oportun, Inc.)
- Robert Tavelli - Tavelli Co., Inc.
- Scott Hyman - Severson & Werso
- Sean Welch - P & B Capital Group, LLC
The first meeting with the newly appointed committee took place virtually on May 1, 2023. To learn more about the Debt Collection Advisory Committee, please visit: https://dfpi.ca.gov/dfpi-debt-collection-advisory-committee.