Healthcare Collection & Medical Receivables Resources
Medical receivables are the amounts owed by third-party payers to healthcare providers. The party owing the money can be commercial insurance companies, HMOs, Medicare and Medicaid, or patients (if there is an outstanding balance after insurance or another payer has paid its portion). After a certain period of delinquency, healthcare providers will often outsource the accounts to collection agencies.
Best Practices for Resolution of Medical Accounts: A Report from the Medical Debt Collection Task Force – This document is based on the deliberations of the Medical Debt Collection Task Force, a joint initiative of ACA International and the Healthcare Financial Management Association. Published in January 2014, the report reflects the task force’s consensus on the current state of best practices related to the equitable resolution of the patient portion of medical bills.
CFPB Report on Credit Reporting Impact of Medical Debts – In December 2014, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director called on credit reporting agencies to take a more active role in policing the companies that furnish data on consumers, including a mandate to report consumer disputes made against specific companies. The new requirements stem from this CFPB study on debt collection tradelines in credit reporting.
U.S. Department of Health HIPAA Information page – An information repository on the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) from Health and Human Services, the federal agency that administers the law, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule and the HIPAA Security Rule.
U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – ICD-10 - ICD-10 is the global medical coding standard for classifying diagnoses and reasons for visits in the healthcare setting. It is administered in the U.S. by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).
2015 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule – The MPFS lists the more than 7,400 unique covered services and their payment rates to physicians in the U.S.
Whitepaper: The Perfect Medical Bill, Paid Perfectly – This paper sets a general framework for the discussion your organization needs to have to in order to identify weaknesses across your receivables operations, and choose a course of action to collect more cash, quickly.
Whitepaper: Using New Technology to Meet the Challenges of Reducing Healthcare Bad Debt – There has never been a more critical time for US healthcare providers to ensure they follow guidelines of best practice when it comes to billing and payment.
[SLIDE PRESENTATION] Healthcare Debt Sales: Tips to Boost Revenue and Effectively Manage Patient Relationships – Selling medical debt can be a smart option that many hospitals overlook when thinking about how to manage their revenue cycle most effectively.
insideARM.com Coverage of Medical Receivables
- 11/11/2015 – LiveVox Discusses Approaches to Optimizing Patient Engagement Strategies in a Changing Insurance Landscape
- 10/28/2015 – MDHBA Elects Board of Directors, Officers Seated at Annual Conference
- 10/27/2015 – Credit Management Company and MedClaims International, LLC Partner to Enhance Healthcare Revenue Cycle Services
- 09/15/2015 – LiveVox To Present Healthcare Revenue Cycle Webinar to Decipher the Newest FCC Ruling for Contacting Patients
- 09/08/2015 – Does the ARM Industry REALLY Need another Conference?
- 08/28/2015 – LiveVox and EOS NCN Discuss Emerging Agency Practices That Leverage New Canadian Contact Center Capabilities
- 08/25/2015 – Kaulkin Ginsberg Offers Outlook for the U.S. Health Insurance Market
- 08/21/2015 – Executive Change: IC System Welcomes Vice President of Healthcare Services
- 08/20/2015 – CFPB Takes Action against Springstone Financial, LLC; Collectors Should Take Note
- 08/05/2015 – Increased Regulation is on the Horizon for Healthcare Collections
- 07/28/2015 – Good News In Debt Collection “Benign Language” Envelope Case
- 06/26/2015 – Bolder Healthcare Solutions Acquires The ROI Companies
- 06/19/2015 – CFPB Takes Action Against Medical Debt Collector, Largely For Lack of Policies and Procedures
- 06/16/2015 – LiveVox and Adreima Discuss Patient Contact Strategies to Service High Days Sales Outstanding
- 05/15/2015 – Crucial Compliance Conversations for Every Hospital CFO