The New York Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) is proposing to amend its rules relating to debt collectors. DCWP will hold a public hearing to address the proposed rules at 11 am ET on Monday, December 5, 2022.
The proposed amendments include provisions regarding:
- Written notice to consumers regarding an expired statute of limitations. (Section 1)
- Requirements for annual reports identifying actions taken by the agency in a language other than English. (Section 2)
- Additional definitions. (Sections 3 and 4)
- Guidance regarding how debt collection agencies must provide information on DWCP's website and post information on their own websites. (Section 5)
- Substantive edits addressing disclosures, communication frequency, credit reporting, and communication channels. (Section 5)
Instructions regarding how to participate or comment on the proposed rules can be found on the first page of this document; all proposed changes can be found on pages 4-19.