Grand Rapids, Mich. – The following statistics are provided to the ARM industry courtesy of WebRecon LLC.
FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, October, 16-31, 2010
There were about 503 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the second half of October, 2010. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 462 Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- 66 Fair Credit Reporting Act
- 34 Truth in Lending Act
- 12 Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Of those cases, there were about 540 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 141 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 894 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 131 different US District Court branches.
- About 464 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 31 Lawsuits: Minnesota District Court – Dmn
- 22 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 20 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 18 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court – Atlanta
- 17 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 15 Lawsuits: New Jersey District Court – Newark
- 13 Lawsuits: Connecticut District Court – New Haven
- 13 Lawsuits: Indiana Southern District Court – Indianapolis
- 12 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court – Fort Lauderdale
- 10 Lawsuits: Texas Western District Court – San Antonio
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 18 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 16 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 15 Consumers: Mark L Vavreck
- Representing 14 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 14 Consumers: James M Ervin
- Representing 12 Consumers: James Marvin Feagle
- Representing 10 Consumers: Benjamin R. Bingham
- Representing 10 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 9 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 8 Consumers: Michael P Mcilree
Statistics Year to Date
9564 total lawsuits for 2010, including:
- 8953 FDCPA
- 1069 FCRA
- 457 TILA
- 148 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 9139 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 316 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 294 Consumers: Sergei Lemberg
- Representing 288 Consumers: Brent F. Vullings
- Representing 224 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 186 Consumers: Donald A. Yarbrough
About WebRecon LLC
Creditors and collection firms use WebRecon’s services to easily segregate predictably litigious consumers from their databases. A significant percentage of consumer litigation is initiated by the same consumers over and over again, and screening them out of the general population can reduce lawsuits by as much as a third.