This week marks the 25th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. As one of history’s most dedicated civil rights activists, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed lives for millions of Americans and his legacy continues to make a difference even today.
In honor of the 25th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Corporation for National & Community Service launched the MLK 25 Challenge, which is, “A call to all Americans to honor Dr. King by pledging to take at least 25 actions during 2011 to make a difference for others and strengthen our communities.”
Dr. King once remarked, “Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
Your challenge this week is to commit to taking part in the MLK 25 Challenge. Use your own ideas or complete some of the 75 ideas posted on the MLK 25 Challenge, website.
Here are a few ways you can serve:
- Donate food to a local food bank.
- Serve food at a local soup kitchen.
- Take part in Habitat for Humanity.
- Visit a wounded veteran in the hospital.
- Give blood.
- Perform a random act of kindness.
To spice things up, you might consider completing the challenge with a team of coworkers, with your spouse/family, or with friends. In fact, you even order free promotional materials online to assist you in planning your event.
- Will you take part in the challenge individually or as part of a team?
- What is the first item on your agenda?
- How could your company benefit from taking part in the challenge?
- What did you learn about yourself this week as a result of completing this challenge?
- What positive changes could you make going forward in order to maximize the benefit of this challenge?
- How would continual practice of this challenge change your life?
What will you do for others?
Editor | collector mentor
To download companion worksheets to use with The collector mentor Challenge™, please visit www.collectormentor.com/thechallenge.
About collector mentor
Published bimonthly, collector mentor is a quick-read publication dedicated entirely to delivering articles and practical advice that teaches credit and collection professionals how to increase collection results, enhance productivity, improve teamwork, and become better stewards of the industry.
© 2011 Collector Mentor All rights reserved.