Grand Rapids, Mich. – The following statistics are provided to the ARM industry courtesy of WebRecon LLC.
FDCPA and Other Consumer Lawsuit Statistics, February 16-28, 2011
There were about 394 lawsuits filed under consumer statutes in the second half of February 2011. Here is an approximate breakdown:
- 378 FDCPA
- 21 FCRA
- 17 TCPA
- 12 TILA
- Of those cases, there were about 410 unique plaintiffs (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit).
- Of those plaintiffs, about 125 had sued under consumer statutes before.
- Combined, those plaintiffs have filed about 754 lawsuits since 2001
- Actions were filed in 107 different US District Court branches.
- About 386 different collection firms and creditors were sued.
The top courts where lawsuits were filed:
- 26 Lawsuits: Colorado District Court – Denver
- 21 Lawsuits: Illinois Northern District Court – Chicago
- 16 Lawsuits: California Central District Court – Western Division – Los Angeles
- 14 Lawsuits: Michigan Eastern District Court – Detroit
- 13 Lawsuits: New York Eastern District Court – Brooklyn
- 11 Lawsuits: Pennsylvania Eastern District Court – Philadelphia
- 11 Lawsuits: Missouri Eastern District Court – St. Louis – Eastern Division
- 10 Lawsuits: Florida Southern District Court – Fort Lauderdale
- 9 Lawsuits: Connecticut District Court – New Haven
- 9 Lawsuits: Georgia Northern District Court – Atlanta
The most active consumer attorneys were:
- Representing 15 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 12 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 8 Consumers: Craig J. Ehrlich
- Representing 7 Consumers: Daniel S. Blinn
- Representing 7 Consumers: Darin Shaw
- Representing 7 Consumers: David J. Philipps
- Representing 6 Consumers: Novlette Rosemarie Kidd
- Representing 6 Consumers: Steven R. White
- Representing 6 Consumers: Robert T. Healey, Jr.
- Representing 6 Consumers: Allison Marie Wolfe
Statistics Year to Date
1750 total lawsuits for 2011, including:
- 1676 FDCPA
- 181 FCRA
- 88 TILA
- 97 TCPA
Number of Unique Plaintiffs: 1797 (including multiple plaintiffs in one suit)
The most active consumer attorneys of the year:
- Representing 47 Consumers: David Michael Larson
- Representing 47 Consumers: Craig Thor Kimmel
- Representing 32 Consumers: Jack Dennis Card, Jr.
- Representing 29 Consumers: Lara Ruth Shapiro
- Representing 28 Consumers: John Thomas Steinkamp
About WebRecon LLC
Creditors and collection firms use WebRecon’s services to easily segregate predictably litigious consumers from their databases. A significant percentage of consumer litigation is initiated by the same consumers over and over again, and screening them out of the general population can reduce lawsuits by as much as a third. www.WebRecon.com